Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Zelienople - Give It Up



Type, 2009

There's been some blog hype about this band in certain quarters that led me to think it was another semi-meandering drone group. There's a time and place for that kind of music in my playlist (very frequently actually), and though seeking that sound, I was pleasantly surprised. In the best name-dropping description I can offer, what you have here sounds like what would happen if Tor Lundvall and Fabio Orsi spent a week in a desert bungalow listening to nothing but Labradford and Slowdive's Pygmalion. It's slow, drifty, a wee bit jazzy (in that good Fabio Orsi drone-jazz way), but not too dark, it's more cold and windy in feel. In that nice sweet spot between straight ahead songs and not-too-out of it improv that reminds me a lot of Steven R. Smith. Great lonely tones.

DOWNLOAD

No comments: